To investigate the effects of Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis B420™ and the dietary fiber Litesse® Ultra™ polydextrose (LU) on body fat mass and other obesity-related parameters.
Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multi-center clinical trial
- 225 healthy volunteers (healthy, BMI 28–34.9) were randomized to four groups for 6 months of double-blind, parallel treatment:
- Placebo (microcrystalline cellulose, 12 g/day)
- LU (12 g/day)
- B420™ (10 billion CFU/day) in microcrystalline cellulose (12 g/day)
- LU (12 g/day) and B420™ (10 billion CFU/day).
- Body composition was monitored with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, and the primary outcome was relative change in body fat mass, comparing treatment groups to placebo
- Other outcomes included anthropometric measurements, food intake and blood and fecal biomarkers
- No diet or lifestyle intervention was employed
B420™ clinically demonstrated (combination product vs placebo):
- 4.5% reduction in total body fat mass
- 6.7% reduction in trunk fat
- 1-inch (2.6-cm) reduction in waist circumference
Subjects also consumed 11 to 15% fewer Calories in B420™ groups versus placebo.
1. Stenman LK, Lehtinen MJ, Meland N, et al. Probiotic with or without fiber controls body fat mass, associated with serum zonulin, in overweight and obese adults—Randomized controlled trial. EBioMedicine. 2016. Nov;13:190–200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ebiom.2016.10.036.